When it comes to consuming medical marijuana, there are a variety of options one can choose.
The effectiveness of medical marijuana can be contingent on the method used to consume it. Each type of cannabis can also affect everyone differently, depending on the consumer. Options for consuming medical marijuana include oils, topical creams, edibles, smoking, and vaping.
It can take between half an hour to 2 hours to begin feeling the effects of the tincture. The peak of its’ effectiveness is between 1-6 hours. It can be consumed with food or absorbed underneath the tongue.
Edibles, or edible cannabis, can come in a variety of different forms. This method of consumption can yield effects that last longer than other options. Just as each person’s body reacts differently to medications, they can also respond differently to edibles. Consumers should consult the medical marijuana dosage in their edibles before ingesting.
Topical creams provide a method for administering medical marijuana through the skin instead of oral consumption or inhalation. This method allows users to receive its medicinal effects through topical application. Once these products are absorbed in the skin, they can rejuvenate the specific areas where applied. Options for topical creams containing medical marijuana include oils, balms, and lotions.
Smoking cannabis is the most well-known option for consumption. While this method can produce the desired effects quickly (within 90 seconds and peaking between 3-10 minutes), this process has the potential to be less healthy due to the bronchial irritants and carcinogens of smoke during the ingestion process.
- When Inhaling medicinal marijuana, one can expect an onset of effects within 90 seconds and a peak between 3 to 10 minutes.
- Effects should fade away after 3 hours.
- Inhaling has a benefit of being easier to titrate, but can have similar carcinogens and bronchial irritants as cigarette smoking.
- On the other hand, taking in medicinal marijuana Orally takes 90 minutes for the onset and peaks between 1 to 6 hours.
- The half-life of this method falls between 20 to 30 hours. Because of low and erratic GI bioavailability.
- 50% of the THC is metabolized before entering a systemic circulation.
- Start low and go slow.